Authors: TheIndianSubcontinent News Agency
Sikandar Raza hit his maiden Test century on Monday to stretch Zimbabwe's second-innings lead over Sri Lanka to 350 runs, compounding the woes of the embattled hosts on day four.
The visitors took lunch at 340 for eight with skipper Graeme Cremer (35) batting alongside Donald Tiripano (eight) at Colombo's R Premadasa Stadium.
Overnight batsmen Malcolm Waller (68) and Raza, who started the day on 97, were the two wickets to fall in the morning session after Zimbabwe resumed the day on 252-6 in the one-off Test.
Raza was bowled for 127 after attempting an audacious reverse sweep off left-arm spinner Rangana Herath, who took his overall match tally to 10 with a five-for in each innings.
Waller was the first to go, falling to off-spinner Dilruwan Perera after adding just 11 runs to his overnight score. His wicket ended a 144-run seventh-wicket stand.
The Pakistan-born Raza put Zimbabwe on top after they were left tottering at 23-4 and 59-5 on the third day with Herath rattling the visitors' top-order.
Raza, 31, combined the right dose of caution and aggression to thwart the Sri Lankan bowling attack during his 205-ball stay laced with nine fours and a six.
All-rounder Cremer, who got his maiden five-wicket haul in the Sri Lankan innings, took over the batting charge from Raza to frustrate the opposition bowling with some quick runs.
While Zimbabwe eye their first-ever Test win against Sri Lanka, the hosts are looking for redemption under new Test captain Dinesh Chandimal after a shock loss in the one-day series.
- Malaysia arrests seven suspected of involvement with Abu Sayyaf militant group
- Palestinian Abbas says Middle East peace closer with Trump engaged
- North Korea calls Trump ‘barking dog’
- UAF inks agreement
- Muslims caught in Austrian election crossfire
- Deepika Padukone looks regal in first look of ‘Padmavati’
- Two revenue dept officials injured
- Azadi Chowk inaugurated in Sargodha
- Two wildlife officials gunned down
- US, Iran meet as Trump threat looms over nuke deal
- Anti-migrant, anti-Muslim, anti-Merkel: Germany's AfD
- EXレイドパス is trending at 10 in Japan
- 空の日 is trending at 9 in Japan
- 創設表明 is trending at 8 in Japan
- 三菱UFJ is trending at 7 in Japan
- #あんスタカップリングメーカー is trending at 6 in Japan
- Gboard is trending at 5 in Japan
- #バスの日 is trending at 4 in Japan
- 完全破壊 is trending at 3 in Japan
- #頭がいい人と悪い人のあなたの見方の違い is trending at 2 in Japan